||Prof. Dr. hab. Wanda Wesolowska|
Zoological Institute, Wroclaw
University, Sienkiewicza 21, 50-335
Text by Jercy Proszynsky (www.salticidae.org)
Polish taxonomist, engaged in research on Salticidae.
- Born in 1950, studied biology at Poznan University; as a student she was interested in ornithology, her early works were devoted to birds.
- Begun profesional employment at Teaching College in Siedlce she has shifted her interest to jumping spiders and remains true to them.
- She later moved to Wroclaw University where she is employed now.
- She received her PhD for thesis deling with taxonomy of large Salticidae genus Heliophanus containing over 100 species
- She has also reconstructed the evolutional history of this genus on the base of the recent species distribution.
- She wrote later papers on salticids of Eastern Palaearctic (Korean Peninsula, northern Mongolia, the Russian Far East, the last together with D. Logunov, and Turkmenistan).
- The main areas of her interests are now faunistic and taxonomic studies on Salticidae of Palaearctic and Afrotropical Regions.
- Recently majority of her research dealt with jumping spiders of Africa: Maltecora, Festucula, Massagris and Harmochirus are among African genera she revised taxonomically.
- She described numerous new species from many parts of Africa.
- The spider biodiversity is also part of her interests.
- African ant-mimicking jumping spiders are her newest interest.
:: benefit for the website ::
:: references ::